In today’s day and age, individualism is what sells; everybody wants to be different and stand out, and who can blame them? After all, individual differences what makes the world such a great and unique place to live in. Unfortunately, when it comes to the simple bedroom pillow, it’s usually pretty standard.
While certainly there are many kinds of pillows, polyester, cotton, wool, feathers, down, latex, memory foam etc. they still serve a rather utilitarian purpose: providing comfort as well as neck and spinal support. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not discounting their importance, without my own neck pain pillow I would probably be walking around more stiffly than a zombie in a George A. Romero movie. If you’re suffering from similar problems, you should certainly take a look at this pillow guide for neck pain users. It’s certainly helped me a lot and I have to say, I haven’t been having any neck pain issues since I bought myself a new pillow.
That said, for the hip and savvy consumer who wants to emblazon his or her individual style in all aspects of their home, including the basic pillow, then check out this list of novelty pillows below for some designs and concepts that is sure to inspire you!
- Colorful Thermosensitive Pillow – Remember the movie Predator where the Predator would see humans in thermal vision? Remember how cool that was? Well, this thermosensitive pillow aims to replicate that effect; the pillow reacts to your body heat and changes color accordingly, allowing you to leave a literal imprint of your head, palm, or whatever body part (I imagine many will decide to sit on it) on the pillow. Depending on your body warmth, the pillow changes from black to blue/green, red to violet, and burgundy to purple. These imprints will only last for a minute or so. So if you want to get a cushion for your couch that guests are sure to have fun with, this colorful thermosensitive pillow is a great choice. The drawback? It’ll set you back about $150.
- Weapon Shaped Pillows – For when pillow fights get real nasty! These pillows are literally shaped like weapons (sabers, battleaxes, lightsabers, nunchakus, throwing stars, and even grenades), with an image of the weapon screen printed on the front of course. This will be a great addition for the overactive kid in your life (boy or girl, I don’t judge!) and is sure to make your kid’s slumber party pillow fights way more entertaining. Hippies concerned about glorifying violence stay away.
- Post-it Notes Pillows – Known as Note-Me Pillows, these pillows come with a special casing as well as a special marker. Measuring 13.7 inches square, these pillows make a great accessory for your office or study; simply use the marker to write down to-do list items and reminders on this pillow, you’re much less likely to accidentally throw this one into your wastepaper basket. They’re also much harder to ignore. Any markings can easily be removed by rinsing the case under cold water. And if you’re in one of those cool hip offices? Simply send a staff member a reminder by literally throwing it at his or her head. SMACK! That’s one memo they won’t soon forget.
- D20 Dice Pillow – Listen up you Dungeons & Dragons nerds! Despite what you may think, D&D is not considered to be a respectable hobby in your adulthood by much of society, and if you are the kind who openly advertises his (or her, but most likely his) love of D&D, there is no doubt that you may be stunting your ability to climb that social ladder. But who cares, right? America is all about individualism after all and what better way to show off what a hardcore D&D fanatic you are than this oversized pillow shaped like a 20-sided D&D dice? Nerdy and proud!
- iPhone Icon Pillows – While D&D nerds may be shunned by the hip crowd, fortunately (or unfortunately perhaps?), Apple nerds are very much in. It’s totally cool nowadays to be an Apple hipster with as many of your electronic gadgets as possible bearing the iconic Apple logo. And what better way to show your love for the company (and give them free advertising too of course) outside the consumer electronics space than by buying these novelty iPhone Icon pillows? Measuring 12 inches square each, they come in a wide variety of designs including but not limited to the SMS icon, the Mail icon, the iPod icon and the iPhone homescreen iPhone icon. By the way, some of these icons also come with the little red notification at the top right hand corner for maximum realness.
Folks, it’s time to turn the pillow from boring and basic to fashionable and fabulous. Whether you’re an Apple hipster or pocket protector wearing D&D nerd, there’s a novelty pillow out there for you.